Tuesday, November 18, 2008

An Ode to the Friendly, Unpretentious Hipster Bar

A contradiction in terms? Yes, I thought so too. But continue to read about my Friday:
Came home from work, after a pretty easy day. Decided that although I wanted to do something, it would probably be better if I didn't spend money on going bar-hopping. Put on my pajamas to ensure that I would spend the night in front of the television. The following conversation ensued:
Sonia: Pajamas already?
Me: Yeah. I gave up on tonight.
Sonia: Well, I guess that's for the best.
***Ten Minutes Later***
Me: So...do you want to go out?
Sonia: Kind of, you?
Me: YES.
So I put clothes back on and we watched Arrested Development and drank beer until it was late enough to go out. We decided to try this new bar (for me at least, Sonia went once before) on the LES called Happy Ending, which we decided to go to because it has a dance floor. After the bouncer almost turning Sonia away because he thought her id wasn't her (it wasn't, but it's real, and who is he, her father?), we went in, and hung around until we decided that it totally wasn't out scene. Far too many yuppies in work clothes and girls in cocktail dresses. And no one was dancing! So we just went to our beloved default neighborhood bar, Botanica. It's probably my favorite place ever. It's small and the drinks are dirt cheap, and best of all, the people are so fucking nice. Like, no other bar has the kind of clientele that joke around with you on the (massive) line for the bathroom, or bouncers who chase after your id when you (me) accidentally throw it down the stairs and when you apologize smile really wide and yell "No problem!" And the men are absolutely gorgeous, and there's plenty of them. Which is always important, even when you're not interested in actually picking one up (which is me, always). In short, I love Botanica. I don't know why we ever try to go anywhere else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

please take me to this bar.