Monday, September 1, 2008

Goodbye Summer



So my pre-classes/internship New York City comes to an end tonight.  I'm actually really happy that I decided to move in early.  I always doubt whether I really want to move in early, whether I'll be ok without a schedule and set things to do.  But I ended up really enjoying my week here.  I did a lot of things alone, which is always ok with me.  Here's the rundown:
- wandered around Soho and got sushi with Sarah
- went to Ikea with Sonia, and while I came to the conclusion the Swedish Utilitarianism isn't really my thing (I prefer Anthropologie Frivolity), the ferry ride back to Wall Street made it worth the trip.  I'll leave the Grand Canyon and the Badlands for other people.  There's nothing more beautiful than the New York skyline at night in the world.
- Saw the Waterfalls at night
- Wandered around the Greenmarket pretending to be Alice Waters and "letting the produce speak to me."  Unfortunately, everything at the Greenmarket Speaks To Me.  So I ended up with way more vegetables than one girl can realistically eat and ended up throwing some of them out.
- Went up to the MET on a Monday only to remember that most museums are actually closed on Mondays, revised my plans and wandered around the UES until I remembered exactly why I don't like it.  Grown men really shouldn't wear yellow pants with pink polos and purple sweaters.  It's hot on Chuck Bass though.
- Had a cute Vassar guy ask for my number on the train.
- Walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, and learned that it's not really all it's cracked up to be.  Conclusion: Ikea Ferry > Brooklyn Bridge on a Fun-ness scale, mostly because there are no irate cyclists who scream at you (aka me) for stepping into the bike lane on the Ikea Ferry.
- Went to Brighton Beach, laid out with Maddy and Sonia until we decided that, as we forgot sunscreen, no tan is worth the inconvenience of sun poisoning and subsequent skin cancer.  
- Walked the boardwalk to Coney Island, which is becoming a Labor Day tradition.

So all in all, a good week.  Certain things bothered me quite a bit, but I've already decided to Chill The Fuck Out and Get The Fuck Over It (GTFOI? Not as good an acronym as CTFO).  Because it's certainly not my fault.  But classes and my internship start tomorrow, so it shouldn't be hard.

No comments: