Thursday, September 11, 2008

Upon which I ruminate on birthdays, Sarah Palin, and Italians

So it's incredible how fast my weeks go now that I have no free time to speak of.  I wake up, go to the gym, go to class, go to work, come back, do homework (which I have had almost none of so far), sometimes do yoga, then fall into bed dead tired.  And the weirdest thing is, I'm actually enjoying this.  I like having a busy schedule.  I like to feel productive, and staying busy is one way to distract myself from the lack other things (romance?  money to go shopping? ) in my life.  But anyways, I like my internship a lot.  My classes are easy if not terribly interesting, my music TA is the coolest person on the planet (he plays accordian!  Has a fro!  Is 6'5'' and probably weighs 120 pounds!), and my soc theory professor is an Elderly British Gentleman who taught at Oxford and who is thoroughly puzzled as to how anyone could take Sarah Palin seriously.

But Jesus fucking Christ, the more I learn about Sarah Palin the more I fear for the future of this nation.  She doesn't believe in abortion, even in cases of rape or incest.  She doesn't believe in global warming.  She thinks that attacking Russia would be a good idea if they don't stop fucking with Georgia.  She likes guns and shooting endangered species.  And she likes the Jesus a little too much for comfort.  Basically, she embodies everything I think is wrong with the American people. 

In other news, my birthday came and went.  I wasn't really into my birthday this year, as shown by my conversation with Sonia monday night:

Sonia: Tomorrow's your birthday! What are you going to do???
Me: Ummm....go to yoga?

So needless to say, I wasn't really feeling it.  I actually think I might have outgrown birthdays a bit.  But I did get lots of nice birthday wishes and calls and tasti d-lite gift certificates, for which I thank everyone.  I think I'll try to celebrate this weekend or the next, whenever Sonia can find a halfway convincing fake id.

The Festival of San Generro started today.  So far I have avoided it like bubonic plague infested bodies rotting in the canals of Venice.  I was all excited last year to be living next to Little Italy just for the San Generro festival.  Now I just fucking hate it.  It's loud.  There are drunk people everywhere.  It smells like sausage and peppers all the fucking time, which just makes me hungry, until after a while it starts to turn my stomach.  It's basically like the Week of Hell.  And in a way, it just enhances stereotypes of Italians as these gluttinous mafiosa types.  Not all Italian Americans are the Sopranos.  

That's one of my biggest pet peeves, which I was totes planning on elaborating on tonight.  But I'm just too tired.  So I'll save that rant for another time.

No comments: