Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Mreh, Christmas

I wasn't feeling Christmas this year.

I woke up, feeling kind of off (I've been eating whatever I want lately, which means things that I usually avoid like the plague, like sugar and fat) and queasy. I asked mom if I looked like I gained weight since I got home, and she answered yes, a bit, so I weighed myself and it was the truth. Oh well. I knew it was gonna happen over the break. I'm considering my relatively chill reaction to be a sign that I'm getting a lot better, and that's I've pretty much left my eating-disorder days behind. I was prepared to gain the weight, and after Christmas I'm prepared to lose it.

I think I'm past the days of really loving Christmas. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was more excited to see Slumdog Millionaire last night than for Christmas to come. Probably cause our traditions are all different this year because Nonna can't travel, and because this semester was so stressful I never got to do the Christmas-y things I usually do, like see the tree or go to a show or see the Nutcracker. Or, maybe I'm just getting older.

On a less emo note, Slumdog Millionaire was SO GOOD. Like, indescribably good. It was one of those movies that makes you feel hopeful and happy and didn't even make you feel slightly cheap for loving a movie with such an unrealistic plotline. And the soundtrack was absolutely amazing. M.I.A. collaborated with AR Rahman on a few of the songs (O...Saya), and it reminded me why I liked her so much when she first started, before the schizophrenic, coked out, overproduced mess that was the majority of Kala (Paper Planes and 20 Dollar being my two exceptions). It hearkened back to the good old Arular days, and to Sunshowers in particular.

So go see it. I'm off to do Christmassy things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i felt the same way about christmas this year too...
it was depressing, and all i wanted to do was not be home.

i hate getting old.