Friday, October 10, 2008

Home, glorious home.

It's gotten to that time of year again. Around this time no matter how much I'm enjoying my classes, my social life, the city itself, all I want to do is go the fuck home. I think it's something about the air, really. The crispness makes me yearn for the train ride home, admiring the changing leaves bordering the Hudson. I find the metronorth ridiculously and inordinately comforting. Maybe it's the fact that the Hudson River Valley is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and even though I have no real love for my hometown (my love is for the people who live in it and the memories that are set there), I really feel blessed to have grown up in such a picturesque place. But every time the train gets past Yonkers I sigh and turn on either Miles Davis or Nico Muhly (for some reason those two have become my go-to music for train rides) and stare out the window feeling incredibly happy and at peace. It might also be the knowledge that either direction I'm traveling, from Fishkill to New York or vice versa, I'm going home. Because if this year has shown be anything, it is that I feel completely at home in both places.

NYU has really stepped up to the plate this year, giving us an actual Fall Break (Tuesday off! As well as Monday!!!). According to one of the girls in my soc theory class, NYU wants to take the pressure off us due to the wave of college-suicides that usually happens around the country at this time. I wasn't aware of this trend, but hey, if it means I get to go home and do fun outdoorsy stuff (apple picking, anyone? Trip up to Rhinebeck? Cold Spring to sit at the waterfront and drink coffee?) I'm all for taking the stress off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing more ideal to me than New York in the fall.
I drove up to Syracuse on Friday and the hillside was covered in gold and crimson; it was spectacular.

Also, can we do a Rhinebeck trip over Thanksgiving break? I love that town.
There are some cute places farther east that I want to check out too, like Millerton.