Thursday, October 23, 2008

Things That I Do Not Understand

1) The Stock Market
I don't really understand how the stock market works. I do, however, know enough to get ridiculously nervous every time the newspaper says the market has fallen (but what market exactly, I do not know). I know enough to feel comforted when the stock market is doing well. But how the stock market functions is still a bit of a mystery to me.
2) Why Whenever I Go Into a Subway Station My Sense of Direction Gets Totally Fucked Up
Seriously though. Why do I always feel like the downtown 6 is coming from the wrong direction?
3) Girls Who Wear Ugg Boots with Short Skirts
No one wants to look like a tacky-ass bitch. Take off the Ugg boots. And burn them. Throw Crocs in too, while we're at it.
4) Why No One Wants to Date Me
Jk, jk, don't want to get into that right now.
5) Why Being an East Coast Liberal is Suddenly Such a Terrible Thing

East Coast Liberals are, as a whole, much more sympathetic to Middle Americans than Republicans. Even if we are very far removed from Middle Americans, in terms of religion, distance, and pretty much everything else, our policies are exponentially more beneficial for them than anything Republicans do. Yes, Republicans say they're going to cut taxes. Neat. But when those taxes go away, so do all of the things the government does to help people out. And that's only if those taxes really do get cut. Unfortunately, most middle Americans don't make six figures, which to the Republicans, means they are Unworthy of getting tax cuts. Which leads me to the next thing I don't understand....
6) Why Those Who Are Already Well Off Get Rewarded While Those Who Need Help Get Royally Fucked
It happens in so many situations. The multi-millionaires get tax breaks. Non-profit agencies that are financially well-off get donations and grants while struggling ones are passed over. I mean, I do understand that they're viewed as better investments. But it's just not quite fair.
7) Why More People In My Life Don't Read Poetry.
This is purely selfish: I like poetry. But it's always more fun when you can discuss it with someone.
8) People Who Have Over-Emotional Facebook Statuses
Do they realize that saying that they are "...sad, heartbroken, and confused" just makes people giggle?
9) Why Fashion Is So Damn Expensive
I want to wear Valentino too!
10) Calculus
Never did. Never will. Thank god Seipp arbitrarily added 25 to 30 points to my grade every semester in high school or I would probably not be at NYU.

No comments: