Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oh, hello



So yeah, long time no blog post. I've been ridiculously busy the past few weeks. I've been working every day of the week except wednesday (and weekends), and the past two weeks were the first time I felt slammed by homework. I've also been trying to get to yoga and the gym regularly, which is hard. But I decided this week to start going to 7:00 AM yoga on tuesdays and thursdays. It means I have to wake up at 5:45 to get there. Yes, it sucks. Yes, I hate myself every time my alarm goes off. Yes, today I didn't realize I missed the Astor Place subway stop until the train was pulling into Union Square because I wasn't totally awake yet, and then had to practically run down to St. Marks in 5 minutes in order to get to class on time. But God, I feel so good afterward. Yoga is just one of those things that makes me feel healthy and happy and good about myself all at once. It completely wipes my mind by the end, which is something I really need. Usually I'm so stressed out about everything I have to do that my mind runs a mile a minute, so those three minutes of final relaxation are a blessed relief. Yoga to the People actually has teacher training pretty regularly, and I was really tempted to do it until Maddy pointed out that I already have no free time. And due to her practical and true observation, my dreams of being a yoga teacher must be deferred.

So as a quick round-up of the last week or so:
-Sonia's friend Nico came to visit from Germany. We took him to Botanica, which turned out to be really fun. It was just a bar, but the ratio of men to women was almost 2 to 1, a phenomenon that seems positively heavenly to any NYU girl. And they were fairly attractive too, even though in general I don't go for hipsters. As Sonia was being chatted up by a sleazy Cornell drop-out who had a girlfriend I talked to this chemist from Hoboken. He seemed pretty cool, but he ruined it all by trying to kiss me and forcing me to drunkenly explain that I think that kissing strangers in bars is a) gross (who knows where those lips have been?) and b) heartbreakingly desperate/cliche, and therefore I don't ever do it. After that I figured that even though I was having a good time talking to him, I should probably give him the chance to actually get laid so I took off to find Sonia and Nico.

-Finally got the Bartok Rhapsody out of the library. It's fun. And easy. I should be finished with it soon, and hopefully Insun will be like "wow she doesn't suck at all, why am I so judgmental to make her play something so clearly below her skill level?" Yes. Exactly like that.

-Yesterday I went to the Greenmarket and found these beautiful rainbow carrot. (The picture above is not of the carrots I bought. it's off the internets). I was too excited to take a picture of those carrots, and immediately peeled them to make saffron glazed carrots. It was the most delicious thing I've eaten in weeks. And so easy! Peel and slice the carrots, then saute them in butter (or butter spray, which is what I use since calories are my enemy), add a pinch of crumbled saffron, some lemon zest, salt and pepper, and a half cup of water. Then just cover and let cook for 5 minutes until the water evaporates. It's from a recipe I cut out of the NYT magazine ages ago, but never made because I thought I hated carrots. Turns out I don't.

-Yesterday as I was walking out of the Kimmel Center a delivery man for All About Food held the door for me.
"Thank you"- me
"You're welcome." (I start to walk away) "Keep that pretty smile. It's a good one."
And who says New Yorkers are unfriendly?

No comments: